Which baby diaper to choose?
The choice of layers is not always obvious when we see the variety of proposals made to parents. If you want to limit the impact of certain potentially toxic agents on the health of your baby and yet find themselves largely in the composition of disposable diapers (polypropylene in particular), certain types of diapers are preferred. Let's do a check in !
The selection criteria to take into account:
When you learn about the best diapers to choose for your baby, a number of criteria are to be assessed, depending on what is important to you, your lifestyle, ...:
- respect for your toddler's health, both short and long term,
- preservation of the environment,
- hygiene and comfort: effect "buttocks dry", soft
- ease of use: speed,
- simplicity of laying and removal of the layer, use in all circumstances
- strength of fasteners
- need for additional tasks (washing, drying, etc.)
- anti-leak efficiency and absorption
Associations and agencies assesses the risks of chemicals in diapers. From tests carried out on disposable diapers and their use, agencies expertise has shown that health thresholds are exceeded for several chemical substances. In view of the risks that these substances may pose to the health of toddlers, it is recommended:
- to eliminate them or minimize their presence in disposable diapers,
- to reinforce the control of these substances in the layers placed on the market,
- to put in place a more restrictive regulatory framework on these products.
Disposable diapers biodegradable
Without perfume or coloring, they consist of a minimum of 70% of natural materials:
- corn starch for the outer shell,
- unbleached cellulose for the absorbent layer,
- 100% non-chemical insulating fleece.
Advantages : identical to traditional disposable diapers, they are more respectful of the baby's health and the environment.
Inconvenients: not marketed in all supermarkets, cost higher than traditional disposable diapers.
Note: they will be thrown away with household waste as well as other disposable diapers, since they are not 100% biodegradable.
Modern, ecological and economical alternative to disposable diapers, these are composed at the center of a washable part that can be of different materials (cotton, hemp, flannel, bamboo or microfiber) and a biodegradable protective veil, in contact of the baby's skin.
This kind of diapers is the one we have on the website. Different styles are available here !
- Just 20 to 40 washable diapers needed until the child is clean.
- The final cost is lower than for disposable diapers, knowing that an investment at the beginning is required.
- They are devoid of any chemical usually present in disposable diapers.
- They generate very little waste.
The inconvenients :
- They can only be bought in specialized stores or on the internet.
- They are thicker than disposable diapers.
- Storing and maintaining soiled diapers requires a little more time from parents
Non-biodegradable disposable diapers
The composition of non-biodegradable disposable diapers:
- outside a waterproof layer of plastic with integral fasteners,
- in the center of absorbent materials: cellulose and absorbent gel,
- in contact with the skin, a protective insulating layer of polypropylene.
- If you are addicted to non-biodegradable disposable diapers, the layers bearing the environmental logo "Nordic Swan" have a chemical composition less harmful and are therefore priviélgier.
For the other types of layers, certain toxic components are to be limited: furans, glyphosate or dioxins in particular.
- on sale everywhere, in all supermarkets, pharmacies etc.,
- their price is often more affordable than biodegradable disposable diapers.
Until the acquisition of cleanliness, a child will carry about 3800 disposable diapers. The impact of these layers on the environment and the health of babies is not negligible!